[Xastir] Serial port issues with Xastir on OS X

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 20:23:20 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 8/19/10, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u@> wrote:

> > The difference between cu and tty goes into the
> hardware
> > handshaking.  Any of the cu devices ignores
> hardware handshake
> > while the tty side needs it.  The idea was that
> you could open a
> > modem on cu even if the modem says it's not ready and
> ensure you
> > could control it even if it was in a confused
> state.  The tty port
> > would honor the handshake/control lines so if the
> lines weren't
> > asserted properly you weren't going to talk to the
> device at all.
>
> One point I was making is that over time we went from:
>

> "/dev/tty*"   (or maybe "/dev/ttys*"?)
>      to "/dev/cu*"
> then to "/dev/ttyS*"  (note the cap 'S')
>
> with the same computer hardware and same modems, just
> different
> Linux kernels.  That's long-ago history.  I
> believe I'm now at 18
> years running Linux...

Right but I wasn't really directing that at you, just a general comment towards the list as a whole about the topic of tty vs. cu and why one seems to work while the other doesn't on some systems.

It doesn't surprise me about the changes given that cu was probably being deprecated around that time and lots of code changing willy nilly.

I don't have 18 years on Linux, I've only got 15 or so of varying *nixes (starting with SunOS 4).