[Xastir] Strange ACK behavior with a Yaesu VX-8DR and Xastir 1.9.9 CVS

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Thu Aug 19 23:55:54 EDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

My first post here on the list.

I'm looking for information Xastir v1.9.9 (last July CVS release)'s
"Satellite ACK mode" feature.  Specifically, I was playing around with a
buddy (n1nec-7) who is on a Yaesu VX-8DR and I was in Xastir (running on
Centos5.5) in KISS mode on a Kenwood D710.  If I would initiate an APRS
message, his HT would almost instantly send an ack.   I was in Santa
Clara, CA and he's was Fremont, CA (<20 miles away) and I couldn't
directly hear his local ACK.  I would receive the digipeated ack.
Unfortunately, Xastir would NOT recognize the ack and thus Xastir would
re-transmit the original message to him again.  Now, once I enable
"Satellite ACK mode", Xastir would accept his ACK and stop transmitting
the original message.

BUT...

Now, when I enable that "Satellite Ack Mode" and N1NEC would now
initiate an APRS message to me, I'd never ACK his message!  Grrrr...

Look at some of these logs with all the DUP messages, etc:

  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KI6ZHD&limit=1000&view=normal
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KI6ZHD&limit=1000&view=normal>

  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N1NEC-7&limit=1000&view=normal
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N1NEC-7&limit=1000&view=normal>

This sure seems like a bug to me.  Thoughts?

--David