[Xastir] Soundmodem recognized by Xastir, not receiving

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:10:30 EDT 2010

John,

I recently did a similar setup - it took a little coaxing.

I don't know if the speed of the machine will be an issue, or the
capabilities of the sound card.  That isn't much RAM, though.  I would
definitely recommend to not run anything else at the same time.  The
maps will 'read' slowly.

You don't specifically mention if the interfaces are both in an UP
state.  take a look at the Interface pop-up. let us know what it says.

I found it useful to run Xastir from a terminal window, to catch any
error output as it starts.

My working system uses just 'KISS', not MKISS.  try that.

Apaarently, something may have changed recently in Linux, where
soundmodem, and the underlying port it is linked to, is set up each
time it is run.  Therefore, the file permissions need to be changed
EACH TIME IT IS RUN.  That fact is not well documented in the
'How-To's.  I use a script to do that.  I need to dig up the reference
to give proper attribution.  Let me know if you want to try that.

Another note is to double check the scope diagnostic - make sure the
wave form expands from the center of the screen.  If it 'grows' from
the bottom (or top) of the screen, you have a DC offset on the audio
line - unplug it.  I fried the audio section of an HTX-202 this way.
The Shack sells audio isolation transformers for $17 - cheap
insurance.