[Xastir] Soundmodem recognized by Xastir, not receiving

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:51:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, John Wilson wrote:

> Soundmodem seems to be working and Xastir seems to be working. I am not sure
> if Soundmodem is sending the signal to Xastir because evertime a signal is
> sensed, xastir never seems to decipher it. I got to thinking about the Slot
> and persistance settings and wondered if I should change that?

No, those are transmit timings, they won't affect receive.

> By the way, the computer is an older pentium, 366 with 192 MB ram. Could the
> speed of the machine slow it down to a point where the squelch, when it
> opens, doesn't give it time for xastir to get it? Could the signal coming
> from the scanner be kerchunking it where the signal is received but the
> squelch opens too late for the complete signal to come through?

It could be the radio (scanner) you're using, the speed of the
machine, the specific soundcard hardware, or even the ALSA->OSS
compatibility mode and/or sample-rate conversion that might be
happening.

Best I could suggest is to use "listen" (running as root) to see if
the AX.25 ports are seeing decoded data.  This takes Xastir out of
the equation.

Perhaps try "linkt" as well.  It will run against AX.25 ports.

You should be able to use Minicom against the MKISS port to see what
comes out.  The first part of each KISS packet should be gibberish,
but the payload should be printable text.