[Xastir] Received data is gibberish

Robert Mead rmead at justconnected.net
Tue Aug 24 21:28:52 EDT 2010

Hello all - I'm working on a new setup with Xastir and Soundmodem in KISS mode, and I'm unable to receive any clear data. Upon further investigation with Minicom, it appears that Soundmodem is feeding the device file bad data. Namely, I'm seeing gibberish, and a lot of unprintable characters - with the exception of regular ASCII text (in comments), which is coming in fine.

However, while 'soundmodemconfig' is running, packets are received/decoded just fine (they show in the terminal). So it seems like I'm receiving and decoding properly, but somehow the data isn't making its way to the device file unmolested.

I'm sure this is a pretty simple problem, and that I just don't really know what I'm doing, but Google isn't being very helpful and I suspect it's just quicker to ask.

Thanks,

KC2YWE Robert