[Xastir] Install on openSUSE 11.3 64bit

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Aug 27 22:06:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 06:54:42PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, David Flood wrote:
>
> > That reminds me...I owe Curt an updated get-maptools script.  The current
> > one installs a very old version of PCRE that kills KDE.  Once I get it sent
> > to him then you don't have to add the tools repository or specify special
> > flags.  Just run the script and then configure/compile Xastir.....
>
> Actually for OpenSuSE 11.2 or 11.3 you don't need that script at
> all, you can install everything from RPM's.
>
> The new script would be appreciated though four many other systems
> out there that do require installing some of the map libraries from
> sources.  Makes it easy!

But the script should be limited to the minimum necessary --- most systems
these days have pcre, geotiff and proj in their package management, and
gdal is almost worthless for Xastir.  The script used to be an essential, but
using it instead of your system's package management when it isn't necessary
can be a hassle, especially when the time comes to upgrade the OS (on Ubuntu,
for example, the upgrades usually break the hand-rolled libraries --- BIF,
I just did an upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04, and needed to do some work to
clean out hand-rolled libraries).

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."