[Xastir] Open Streets Maps help

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 20:09:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Jacob Tennant wrote:

> I think I have downloaded the correct files as there was 4 files per state.
>
> Working on getting my Xastir to start up again as now it won't startup???

Is it possible that it's busy indexing the maps?  Check the status
bar on the bottom left to see if there's activity.

Another possibility is that Xastir is trying to download OSM map
rasters and the server is not responding.

First you can "kill" or "kill -9" all of the Xastir processes if it
is truly hung.

Then do "xastir -?" in a terminal window like xterm.  You'll see the
"-m" option.  Try "xastir -m" and Xastir will deselect any maps and
should come right up so you can try your map selections (or
different ones) again.

If it still won't start up, you can blow away the ".xastir"
directory and contents in your home directory and let Xastir create
a new setup for you there.  You'll have to go in and set your
callsign and location again, and set up your interfaces, but that's
an emergency fix when all else fails and there's something corrupted
in your .xastir/ directory.