[Xastir] Which interface?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 3 00:20:24 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:22:03PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Javier Henderson wrote:
>
> > Well, but say I have not heard a station via RF, but want to try to
> > reach it via RF. Is there a way to force it, without shutting down the
> > APRS-IS interface?
>
> I don't believe so.  The system assumes that you can't talk to them
> if you can't hear them.

Looking through the message.c code:

If the station has never been heard:
   send to all ports, RF and otherwise
Else If the station has been heard on RF in the last hour:
  send to the RF port on which the station was heard.
Else If the station has only been heard on the net *and* there is an
        internet port with transmit enabled:
  send to all internet ports with transmit enabled
otherwise:
  transmit to all active ports

That is, a message will be transmitted to RF IF:  the station has never been
heard, has been heard on RF in the last hour, or there are no active internet
ports with transmit enabled.

If you are hearing a station only on the net and want to try to contact it
via RF, just disable transmit on the APRS-IS ports for a while.  No need to
shut down the interface completely.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."