[Xastir] Xastir 2.0.0 on Arch Linux

Mike H mph at swcp.com
Sun Dec 19 18:08:00 EST 2010

This is a question specific to Arch Linux.  I'm trying to build an Arch
package (PKGBUILD) for xastir 2.0.0.  The current PKBUILD in the Arch
User Repository is xastir 1.9.8:

That works without a problem.  If I uninstall that, I'm also able to
build xastir 2.0.0 from source using the usual ./configure, make, sudo
make install.  The problem I'm having -- which is specific to Arch Linux
-- is modifying the existing PKGBUILD file available at the above link
for xastir 2.0.0.  It looks like a straightforward edit: change pkgver
from 1.9.8 to 2.0.0 and then run makepkg -g to generate a new md5sums
code for xastir 2.0.0.  When I run makepkg on the edited PKGBUILD,
however, it aborts at this point in the makefile script:

install-data-hook:
     cd $(mapdir) && \
     rm -f CC_OpenStreetMap.png && \
     $(LN_S) CC_OpenStreetMap_logo.png CC_OpenStreetMap.png

with the following error message:

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /usr/share/xastir/maps: No such file or directory

So why am I going to all this trouble if I can complie so easily from
source?  You really want to have all your packages under the control of
Arch's package manager (pacman) to avoid problems.

Insight appreciated!

Mike WB2FKO