[Xastir] Deb distro with Mepis 11 ?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:05:32 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Tony Hunt <wavetel at internode.on.net> wrote:
>> Ive installed the latest Mepis 10.9.82 Alpha distro on my eepc. THis is a Mepis 11 prerelease . Its running debian squeeze if you like.
>>
>> I tried installing the last xastir deb file from Lee but it failed and complained about the infamous libmotif3 in that it could not fulfill the dependancy. I did the same test with mint debian (latest release squeeze/testing based) which is dated december 2010. Same issue with libmotif3.
>
> The binary you attempted to use was the one I built specifically for
> Debian Stable and Mepis 8.0/8.5.  Motif may still be available for
> Squeeze, albeit in a repository that is not enabled by default, but
> the package name may not match even if there is a package there.
>
> I never did create binaries for the Debian Squeeze/Linux Mint Debian
> genre, mainly because I didn't realize that the package in the
> standard repository for those newer Linux distro's was still such an
> old build of Xastir.  Any binaries I make are simply user-provided,
> 'courtesy to the community' type things, so I certainly haven't made
> any promises.

Hey Tony,

I just created and installed a new deb package in Linux Mint Debian
that can be downloaded via the link below.  I had to first install the
gdebi installer - did that with Synaptic.   There's a decent chance it
will work in that new Mepis release you are using.

The quick test here was to uninstall my source-built Xastir and a
bunch of obvious dependencies and then install the deb package, which
reloaded the dependencies I had removed.  After that, I was able to
start Xastir and see OSM maps work.  A better test would be to install
the deb package on a brand new installation of Linux Mint Debian, but
I don't have time to do that now, so you'll have to be somewhat of a
guinea pig.

http://96.226.232.192:1080/xastir/xastir201-linuxmint-debian-i386-2010-12-29.deb

If anyone else tries this package on Debian Squeeze (or Testing) or
any versions of Linux based on those, please let me know your results
via this mailing list.

Thanks,
Lee - K5DAT