[Xastir] getting maps to draw, my experience

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Thu Feb 4 14:01:02 EST 2010

Hi Folks--

I had some angst when I first tried to get maps to go
with my xastir setup. Here they are installed in
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/{map subdirs}
and they show up ok in the map chooser window.

Anyways, it turns out that on my setup, if I
first clicked "disable all maps" in the top level
map dropdown, then enabled the bottom four
buttons in the top level map dropdown, I could
then unclick disable all maps, and oh boy, my
internet link got slow as the maps poured down
and painted the xastir window (I am using the
online tigermaps).

For me, nothing works properly here unless I do
the "disable all maps," fuss with map settings,
and reenable maps dance.

I wonder if trying this will work for others.

//Steve//