[Xastir] Niggly bits to make it work

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:06:35 EST 2010

On 2/4/10, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's really the amount of poking and prodding to get Xastir back up
> and running that keeps me from having it running here. Although the
> new Cygwin install walk through has gotten my interest piqued again.
> The first Cygwin readme was exceptional... far too many steps for the
> average user, but if you followed the instructions to the letter,
> Xastir came up and worked. Getting it going on Ubuntu was much harder.

Here's what I suggest in order to get up and running quickly -
download and install the latest version of Sun Virtualbox for Windows.
 Then install one of the recent Ubuntu iso images from December that
have Xastir pre-installed. It's a reasonably recent CVS/source
installation. All of the typical libraries are installed - only
Festival (text to speech) and GDAL are not included.  Links to the iso
images are found at http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Downloads.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX