[Xastir] Niggly bits to make it work

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Thu Feb 4 23:15:21 EST 2010

<snip>I'm not all about the flashy maps... don't take that the wrong way
either, put a nice map display in front of me, and I start drooling. <snip>

Me neither; I detest eye candy as it only adds wow factor at the expense of
system resources and headaches for the developers.
I do like accurate maps though; hence my persistence in getting my 1:25000
AGD66 maps to work with Xastir (still a work in progress BTW; I will crack
this nut!!!).
Being able to see the location of a station (maybe requiring assistance) on a
1:25000 scanned topo map is HEAPS better than on a 1:250000 map. This becomes
even more critical if directing other units onto that location, with the
1:25K maps giving more details.
Gripes aside, I think the developers have done a fantastic job with Xastir. I
learn more every time I use it and look forward to the learning curve
continuing.

Ian
VK1IAN