[Xastir] My wish list

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:50:12 EST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Jeremy McDermond wrote:

> A plea from the Tier2 sysops:  Please do not connect to more than
> one server at once.  It just causes duplicates in the system, and
> wastes bandwidth and cpu on the servers in the network.
>
> Tier2 has a few different round-robins.  It's probably better if
> you use your regional round-robin.  Those are:
>
> noam.aprs2.net -- North America
> euro.aprs2.net -- Europe
> asia.aprs2.net -- Asia
> soam.aprs2.net -- South America
> aunz.aprs2.net -- Australia & New Zealand
>
> We also have a global rotate:  rotate.aprs2.net

That last address is one I knew about and have used before.

Big rodger-dodger on the above info.  People take note of those
address and use them, please don't abuse them (connect to only one
at a time).  I believe the tier-1 and/or tier-2 servers try to
enforce the one-connection-per-SSID.

I do see a need at times to connect to more than one server, for
testing and for a few special uses.  As a normal order of business I
define several servers in my interfaces but only tell Xastir to
connect to one.

I can't connect to the main APRS-IS as "WE7U-0" 'cuz I have a Perl
script always connected there collecting statistics, plus other Perl
scripts injecting thousands of objects, some into APRS-IS, some into
another server, as "WE7U-0" and as other "callsigns".  That's why
I'm usually "WE7U-3" from home, "WE7U-something-else" from other
locations.  I still see people trying to send messages to me at "-0"
though.