[Xastir] So, a question on all this building...

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:43:51 EST 2010

So after the flurry of emails about building xastir, a question.

With a bunch of people running Ubuntu, why not just 'sudo apt-get
install xastir' ?

Is the version shipped with 9.10's repositories lacking some major features?

It works well here, particularly after installing a bunch more maps locally.

On a side note for the list, does anyone have a good dummy's guide to
reading and writing to the sm0 or other ax.25 devices in linux?  I do
know it's dgram mode, but have only done a cursory look so far.
Preferrably I'd like to access it via Perl or Python as I'm not much
of a C guy at this point, though it seems I may need to become one for
this project.

I'd like to give a go at making a standalone APRS msg only client for
linux, the protocol is pretty simple as I've already poked at it and
conversed in raw UI mode doing the acks etc manually with a few
people.

--
73      de     Chris       KC2RGW