[Xastir] So, a question on all this building...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 6 03:00:02 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:37:44PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <esarfl at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > Can't answer that as I don't run Ubuntu nor know what version of
> > Xastir binary they have.
>
> I've got an idea... What about creating a PPA for Xastir on Launchpad.net?
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

Who do you propose will be the person to create that PPA and maintain it?  Are
you volunteering?

To date, most Xastir developers don't maintain binaries for any platform (Curt
used to maintain an LSB binary for Linux, but I don't know if he does anymore).
It's hard enough to have the time to work on the code itself.  I don't see
that changing in short order.

PPAs are a fine approach (I use the UbuntuGIS PPA for some machines, precisely
because that group updates some packages that have bad versions in Ubuntu
official repositories), but even they need maintainers who are going to keep
on top of the thing.  If one or more of the Xastir *users* of Ubuntu on this
list were to volunteer to do this, it would be cool, so long as that person
were committed to keeping it up-to-date.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation