[Xastir] work-around for right-click problem under Cygwin

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 14:32:12 EST 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:07 PM, David Flood wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Is this a true PS/2 keyboard or a USB one?  This sounds like some sort of
> negative interaction in keyboard control lines like used to happen with some
> printer ports and PS2 keyboards.

I can speak to this condition.

I recently put Cygwin on my new HP 17" laptop.  I also did a CVS install of xastir (1.9.9).  As an aside, I copied my Texas Tigerline 2008 shapefiles (17.8gb) into the maps folder.  And, I did copy my customized dbfawk files (even though the current CVS versions are quite usable) into the config folder.  Finally, I ran a custom "sed" script *after* the first-time map index by xastir to get the layers of the index.sys file "corrected".

I saw the freeze-up with a right-click in the map region as others have mentioned.  I remembered someone saying to turn on Num-Lock, get the warning message about turning it off.  I turned on Num-Lock, got the warning, turned off Num-Lock as instructed.  The right-click started working.  The only thing different is that I have to hold down the right-button to stay in that mode.  It's not a right-click-on, left-click-off as under linux.  I did not have to turn on Num-Lock before starting xastir.  I can do it after xastir is running.

So, it appears to not necessarily have anything to do with the type of keyboard used (PS2 vs USB), but I could be wrong - been there, done that!  To be honest, I am not sure what kind of keyboard controller is used in that laptop.  It could be USB-centric or it could be PS2-centric.

Finally, here are some thoughts that I have put off writing about until now.  I really like this setup.  That is such good news about the upgraded Cygwin.  And, indeed it works slick for xastir.  I lashed up an OT+ with KISS firmware installed, mated with a VX-1R (at 0.5 watts)  The deviation is at 2.55kc high tone with the low tone about 2.1kc (as it should be - no twist as I've experienced with my FT-1500s).  That's the best I could get out of the OT+ without doing any circuit mods.  Close enough, as it hits the digi just fine which is about 8 miles due east of me.  This is all setting on my kitchen table as a temp setup for testing.

I had installed VirtualBox, but was less than satisfied with it.  It was when I saw the blurb about the upgraded Cygwin, that I gave it a shot and am so glad I did.  The main impetus of my effort was to get other local hams going with xastir, rather than some other PC-centric APRS client, but lessen the issues of working with *nix.

 Consider me a satisfied "customer".

73 - Dale.  KG5LT