[Xastir] work-around for right-click problem under Cygwin

Rob Locher W7GH rob at idiompress.com
Thu Feb 11 18:40:49 EST 2010

> On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:07 PM, David Flood wrote:
>
> Is this a true PS/2 keyboard or a USB one?  This sounds like some sort of
> negative interaction in keyboard control lines like used to happen with
> some
> printer ports and PS2 keyboards.

Hi David!  I'm using a USB keyboard.

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:32:12 -0800, Dale Seaburg <kg5lt at verizon.net> wrote:

> I saw the freeze-up with a right-click in the map region as others have
> mentioned.  I remembered someone saying to turn on Num-Lock, get the
> warning message about turning it off.  I turned on Num-Lock, got the
> warning, turned off Num-Lock as instructed.  The right-click started
> working.  The only thing different is that I have to hold down the
> right-button to stay in that mode.  It's not a right-click-on,
> left-click-off as under linux.  I did not have to turn on Num-Lock
> before starting xastir.  I can do it after xastir is running.

Hi Dale!  I don't have that particular "feature"; I get right-click-on,
left-click-off.

> Finally, here are some thoughts that I have put off writing about until
> now.  I really like this setup.  That is such good news about the
> upgraded Cygwin.  And, indeed it works slick for xastir.
[snip]
> I had installed VirtualBox, but was less than satisfied with it.  It was
> when I saw the blurb about the upgraded Cygwin, that I gave it a shot
> and am so glad I did.  The main impetus of my effort was to get other
> local hams going with xastir, rather than some other PC-centric APRS
> client, but lessen the issues of working with *nix.
>
>  Consider me a satisfied "customer".

I concur!  I spent four years as a professional software developer, and in
my opinion the future belongs to software that will run on any platform.
XASTIR fills the bill nicely as far as I'm concerned.  I thought about
trying other Windows APRS software, but the app with the most market share
hasn't been maintained since the author's key fell silent in 2004, and the
app seems to require purchasing expensive mapping software that I've never
heard of to make it work.  (Thanks but no thanks, UI-View32.)  XASTIR's
installation procedure for Windows is clunky, but I understand why.  If I
had more time available I would volunteer to streamline the installation
procedure for Windows users.

Considering that XASTIR's authors are all busy people improving and
maintaining the software in their free time for nothing, it really is
excellent software.  Bravo!  And Bravo to all the people who offer
friendly advice on the reflector!

73,
- Rob W7GH