[Xastir] Niggly bits to make it work

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 21:24:21 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Ian Bennett <ibennett at tpg.com.au> wrote:

>        I disagree.....to a point. Doing what you describe would add to immense
> overhead to the program for little gain.

That really is all dependent upon your definition of gain. If you take
a program that maybe 10% of users can figure out how to get running,
and turn it into a program that 90% of users use as their program of
choice, would that be considered little gain? As I stated before, not
many people use Xastir simply because of the amount of fiddling
required.

> Problems and endless questions reflect on the quality of the documentation.

I have to disagree. I have installed hundreds of programs without
referring to the documentation. I simply double click on the setup
icon, and at most have to provide information about where I would like
the program to be installed, and then hit ok to launch the program.
The only program that I have ever needed to worry about a widget set
over is Xastir.

Windows gained its huge following because most users could figure out
how to point and click. It keeps things pretty simple and basic. Most
of the heavy lifting gets done behind the scenes. The end user
experience is pretty much painless. Yes, this means that the program
ends up larger because required libraries might have to be compiled
in, or other such things, but for the end user it means that they
simply need only concern themselves with learning how to work the
program, not how to configure the computer with the proper X-windows,
motif/lesstif, compiler environment, dependencies, and the host of
other issues that Xastir users need to deal with. Oh yeah, it also
works on the operating system they are using...

There are a number of other programs out there that work
"cross-platform", but in a manner that is much different than Xastir.
Sure the Windows version is bloated and probably behind the bleeding
edge, but a run of the mill Windows user can get the thing running on
their machine without having to figure out Cygwin, or a VMWare virtual
machine. There are still the bleeding edge versions for the hard core
junkies to compile on their *nix based machines, but that dumbed down
version for the Windows based masses with their glazed over eyes is
where you get the larger user base.

> A gazillion configuration options is a good thing but they all must be
> documented; not by a "technical writer" but someone who knows what these
> options do.

If the options are useful, yes, but sometimes *nix people show their
tinfoil hats and propeller beanies a little too much by adding in
features like "talk like a pirate" and other sundry translations...
yeah it's fun, but necessary? (Hi Curt! 8)

>        I too am taking my first steps with Xastir however I compiled from source
> (Kubuntu 8.10). Where I am struggling at the moment is converting maps
> between different datums. It would be nice if Xastir could use AGD66 maps.
>        My initial problems stemmed from a misunderstanding in the concepts, mostly
> relating to external interfaces, digipeating and what should data should be
> put in those fields. I'm still chasing info on routing and filtering, when
> using more than one radio interface.
>        Where I am going with this you need to persist. Once I get my AGD66 maps
> working properly, I'll be over the moon.

Sure, but this is all an Xastir learning curve. You have the program
running, and now you're trying to figure out how to make all the fancy
bells and whistles work. How many hours did you spend getting to the
point where Xastir actually ran? Oh yeah, have I mentioned that you're
running a machine with an operating system that most people aren't
running?

Yes, Linux is superior to Windows, but you have to treat this Windows
affliction as if you were a drug dealer. Give the masses a free taste
of Xastir right where they feel at home. Get them hooked, and then
start dragging them over to the *nix side. Tell them they can have the
newest version on *nix well before they can have it get it on Windows.
Tell them they can compile their own right from the source... but
first, get them hooked!

Linux is moving pretty fast, but it's still not quite there yet. I
can't wipe my work computer and install Ubuntu on it. My boss expects
me to run specific programs from manufacturers such as Motorola, who
only make a Windows version of the software. My computer HAS to have a
serial port on it. I still run programs that only know about real
serial ports to talk to legacy serial devices running equipment and
networks worth millions upon millions of dollars. The world isn't
going to change simply because I want to run a superior operating
system on my laptop.

Xastir needs to move towards it's user base, because the glacial speed
that the user base is moving isn't going to get them to the current
incarnation of Xastir in this millenium...

Just my two bits...

James
VE6SRV

PS, this is all written from the point of view where all I need to do
to make this happen, is wave my magic wand. I know that what I am
talking about isn't an easy task. The developers have spent a great
deal of time building Xastir to where it is currently, and kudos for
that. In my dream world however, I see a different type of Xastir for
the masses.