[Xastir] How-to

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:51:34 EST 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Murry wrote:

> The  how to for Ubuntu (9.10)on the Wiki works very well.
> I used the method whereby you have to add the extra argument for proj and
> geotiff, I guess it was, when you do the ../configure.
> Then at the end there are instructions for updating Xastir by cvs.
> My question is, do you have to do that configure that way when you update
> with cvs?

Often you don't have to run the configure stage when updating from
CVS.  It depends on what got updated.  If it's just a few files in
the src/ directory, then "cvs update" and a "make"/"make install"
should get you going.

If new files were added or some of the *.am or *.ac files were
changed, it would be best to start at the ./bootstrap.sh level and
run through all of the configure/make commands.

BTW:  You can create your own command in that directory without
messing anything up, just create a text file like this:

     #!/bin/bash
     ./configure -blah -blah -blah

using options you want to pass to configure.  Make sure to name the
file something that won't conflict with existing files, like perhaps
"myconfigure".

Type:

     "chmod 755 myconfigure"
-or-
     "chmod ugo+x myconfigure"

to make it executable.  Run it by typing: "./myconfigure"

Simple huh?  Once you've successfully completed that you've created
your first shell script!  This way you don't have to remember the
options you need to type each time.  Just run your script instead of
the default.

Another method is to create an alias in your shell.