[Xastir] soundmodem stops decoding

Grant Siebrecht gsiebrecht at westianet.com
Mon Feb 15 22:17:32 EST 2010

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, fresh install.
Installed xastir and soundmodem by using apt-get

I can get soundmodem running and decoding packets; however when I start xastir and turn on the serial kiss tnc interface the decoding by soundmodem stops, packets stop scrolling in the terminal window.
The TNC interface starts but neither xastir or soundmodem appears to continue to decode packets.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas where to look.
I tried running soundmodem and xastir as root and I have no luck.
Grant