[Xastir] dbinfo on Ubuntu 9.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jan 2 20:10:42 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 01:45:00PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n8fau15 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello all...
>
> A long time ago I had dbfinfo working.... Of course that was 4 machines
> ago....
>
> I tried to get it going on a couple of my laptops and it bombed out on
> install...  Is there a trick specific to Ubuntu or something else....
>
> Later tonight I'll run another install and post up the errors....

I just booted my Ubuntu 9.10 virtual machine and tried to build
shapelib-1.3.0-b1 (the most recent).  I was unable to build dbfinfo without
fixing the Makefile.

If you're attempting to build dbfinfo in the current release of shapelib,
it looks like the contrib directory's makefile was NOT kept up-to-date
with the main code.   A new file of code intended to improve UTF-8 support
was added to the build in the main directory, but not to the contrib
builds.

Look in the contrib directory, and add "../safileio.o" to the SHPOBJ
variable definition.  This will make sure you don't get unresolved symbols
("SASetupHooks"), and dbfinfo will build.  If you add "#include <stdlib.h>" to
the dbfinfo.c file just above the include of shapefile.h, you'll also eliminate
a number of warnings, but that would be unimportant --- a number of other
warnings persist anyway, and can be ignored.  But the omission of
safileio.o from the SHPOBJ is a deal breaker.  I have reported this
on the shapelib bug tracker.

I confirmed that there is NO problem building dbfinfo unmodified in
shapelib-1.2.10, only 1.3.0.  That could account for the difference in
experiennces between you and Ray Wells.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation