[Xastir] Best of Both Worlds

Keith Kaiser wa0tjt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:13:41 EST 2010

I admit it, I want it all.

I regularly run packet. I have a Kantronics KPC-3+ which I use with my IC-7000 transceiver, all connected to my MacBook Pro on OSX v10.6.2 running MacTNC. This setup works great, I can check in on a regular basis with the local WinLink gateway and pick up my mail, monitor local APRS & Packet data, etc.

I also want to be able to use this setup with Xastir. To do this I turn off MacTNC (the terminal program) and launch Xastir. It comes up and I go to the 'Interface Control' and select the appropriate device. This device uses the "tnc-startup.kpc3" script. But it doesn't work. The TNC is not seen by Xastir, no packets come in as seen via the 'Display Packet Data' under the 'View' menu.

Trying to turn it off again via the 'Interface Control' locks up Xastir to the point where I have to force quit the X11 application to get out of it. Then I have to delete the pid in order to start the entire process over again.

Yes, I'm sure I have the correct port set in the 'Interface Control', the exact same one used by MacTNC.

I've also tried turning off the TNC before starting Xastir, that made no difference to the above issue. So I'm looking for an idea, or a solution to either the start-up issue, or the stop issue of the TNC, preferably both.

Thoughts?