[Xastir] Xastir on a a Netbook

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 23:57:15 EST 2010

On 1/14/10, Phil - w2lie <w2lie at w2lie.net> wrote:
> I currently have Xastir running on my Laptop, and I'm building my first
> true Linux only desktop for home use as I type this.  Both PC's run (or
> will run) openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3 desktop.  The laptop is running
> fine, and I hope that my Desktop has the same good luck.
>
> The "jolly old fatmam" delivered a nice shiny ACER Aspire One netbook
> this year..  I must have been really good.  I've installed the 2Gig
> memory chip and was thinking about putting Xastir on there.  I was
> thinking about just running a virtual machine, but now I'm really
> starting to think about splitting the HD in 2, and running Linux in the
> second partition.  It seems that Ubuntu Remix is the only real solution
> out there so I was wondering if anyone else happens to be running Xastir
> on a netbook before I start messing with partitions or anything like
> that.  I'm happy with openSUSE and I've been reading that there are some
> extra steps needed to get Ubuntu to run with Xastir.
>
> Sorry to ramble, but Xastir is really my main reason for even trying to
> put Linux on the netbook (besides the M$ debate)- and I want to make
> sure I'm going to be able to run Xastir on there.

I run Eeebuntu 3.0 (netbook remix version) on an Asus Eee PC 1000HA,
and I'm very happy with it.  Xastir works fine and was installed using
the current Ubuntu procedure for compiling from source.  I have read
some reviews that indicate that Eeebuntu works fine on an Acer Aspire
One, but I don't know anyone personally who has it installed on an
Acer.  I'm dual booting Eeebuntu with the Windows XP home that came
with it.  Every now and then I run into something that I need Windows
for, but most of the time I boot Eeebuntu.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX