[Xastir] Xastir on a a Netbook

David Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:22:49 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:45:33PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:08:32PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <w2lie at w2lie.net> flavor, containing:
> > > The "jolly old fatmam" delivered a nice shiny ACER Aspire One netbook
> > > this year..  I must have been really good.
> >

> > > I've installed the 2Gig
> > > memory chip and was thinking about putting Xastir on there.
> > > [...].  I'm happy with openSUSE and I've been reading that there are
> some
> > > extra steps needed to get Ubuntu to run with Xastir.
> >
> > There are steps to get Ubuntu to run Xastir, but they're all explained
> > quite well on the Wiki.  I run Xastir on Ubuntu, and wrote some of the
> > earlier wiki entries on doing it (many others have updated the process
> for
> > later releases).
> >
> > I am currently downloading the Ubuntu Netbook Remix iso and will make a
> > virtual machine to test out the installation of Xastir
> > (
> http://www.linuxuk.org/2009/09/testing-ubuntu-netbook-remix-in-a-virtual-machine/
> ).
> > I'll report back when I know better how much the process differs from
> > installing on a normal Ubuntu system.  I expect it'll be mostly the same,
> but
> > it won't hurt to check in a virtual machine first.
>
> I just finished building myself a virtual netbook with Xastir on it.  I
> followed the process described in both the above listed URL and the one it
> links to about getting a netbook-sized virtual machine screen as well.  Did
> this in VirtualBox.
>
> I followed the install instructions in the Xastir Wiki for Ubuntu 9.04.
>  After
> fixing a handful of mistakes in that wiki page and updating it with some
> new
> recommended procedures, I found the process on Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 to
> be exactly the same as the updated 9.04 instructions.  Xastir worked Just
> Fine.
> I also used "graphicsmagick" instead of "imagemagick" and
> "libgraphicsmagick1-dev" instead of "libmagick-dev" in the apt-get install
> lines because these days I'm trying to eschew ImageMagick whenever I can.
> It's as simple as making those two substitutions.
>
> It looks like Xastir might even look OK on the screen of the netbook (I
> worried
> about that, given its short height).
>
> So have at it.  Follow the instructions on the Xastir wiki
>  http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_9.04
> with or without the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick swap and you should be up
> and
> running on your netbook.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> [...]

Tom,

If that is the case should / could we change the title to
"HowTo:Ubuntu_9.04_OR_9.10" as the you have confirmed my previous finding
that same instructions work for either OS release.  This to prevent
questions like "I see 9.04 but what about 9.10" in the user group reflector
/ mail list.

Next on my list is to test the update script & related HowTo that updates
from CVS, and to get the Canadian maps showing up.  They are on the machine
and downloading in real time, just not displaying.

73
Dave
KB3EFS
mgs FN24BI81GP & FN24BI81GQ