[Xastir] Xastir on a a Netbook

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jan 15 15:49:54 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:45:33PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:08:32PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <w2lie at w2lie.net> flavor, containing:
> > The "jolly old fatmam" delivered a nice shiny ACER Aspire One netbook
> > this year..  I must have been really good.
>

> > I've installed the 2Gig
> > memory chip and was thinking about putting Xastir on there.
> > [...].  I'm happy with openSUSE and I've been reading that there are some
> > extra steps needed to get Ubuntu to run with Xastir.
>
> There are steps to get Ubuntu to run Xastir, but they're all explained
> quite well on the Wiki.  I run Xastir on Ubuntu, and wrote some of the
> earlier wiki entries on doing it (many others have updated the process for
> later releases).
>
> I am currently downloading the Ubuntu Netbook Remix iso and will make a
> virtual machine to test out the installation of Xastir
> (http://www.linuxuk.org/2009/09/testing-ubuntu-netbook-remix-in-a-virtual-machine/).
> I'll report back when I know better how much the process differs from
> installing on a normal Ubuntu system.  I expect it'll be mostly the same, but
> it won't hurt to check in a virtual machine first.

I just finished building myself a virtual netbook with Xastir on it.  I
followed the process described in both the above listed URL and the one it
links to about getting a netbook-sized virtual machine screen as well.  Did
this in VirtualBox.

I followed the install instructions in the Xastir Wiki for Ubuntu 9.04.  After
fixing a handful of mistakes in that wiki page and updating it with some new
recommended procedures, I found the process on Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 to
be exactly the same as the updated 9.04 instructions.  Xastir worked Just Fine.
I also used "graphicsmagick" instead of "imagemagick" and
"libgraphicsmagick1-dev" instead of "libmagick-dev" in the apt-get install
lines because these days I'm trying to eschew ImageMagick whenever I can.
It's as simple as making those two substitutions.

It looks like Xastir might even look OK on the screen of the netbook (I worried
about that, given its short height).

So have at it.  Follow the instructions on the Xastir wiki
  http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_9.04
with or without the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick swap and you should be up and
running on your netbook.

Enjoy!

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation