[Xastir] Xastir on a a Netbook

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jan 14 23:45:33 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:08:32PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <w2lie at w2lie.net> flavor, containing:
> I currently have Xastir running on my Laptop, and I'm building my first
> true Linux only desktop for home use as I type this.  Both PC's run (or
> will run) openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3 desktop.  The laptop is running
> fine, and I hope that my Desktop has the same good luck.
>
> The "jolly old fatmam" delivered a nice shiny ACER Aspire One netbook
> this year..  I must have been really good.

Lucky you!

> I've installed the 2Gig
> memory chip and was thinking about putting Xastir on there.  I was
> thinking about just running a virtual machine, but now I'm really
> starting to think about splitting the HD in 2, and running Linux in the
> second partition.  It seems that Ubuntu Remix is the only real solution
> out there so I was wondering if anyone else happens to be running Xastir
> on a netbook before I start messing with partitions or anything like
> that.  I'm happy with openSUSE and I've been reading that there are some
> extra steps needed to get Ubuntu to run with Xastir.

There are steps to get Ubuntu to run Xastir, but they're all explained
quite well on the Wiki.  I run Xastir on Ubuntu, and wrote some of the
earlier wiki entries on doing it (many others have updated the process for
later releases).

I am currently downloading the Ubuntu Netbook Remix iso and will make a
virtual machine to test out the installation of Xastir
(http://www.linuxuk.org/2009/09/testing-ubuntu-netbook-remix-in-a-virtual-machine/).
I'll report back when I know better how much the process differs from
installing on a normal Ubuntu system.  I expect it'll be mostly the same, but
it won't hurt to check in a virtual machine first.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation