[Xastir] latest from CVS is V 1.9.5 or 1.9.6 or 1.9.7 or 1.9.?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jan 18 22:55:26 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:15:32PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ka7o at ka7o.net> flavor, containing:
> I seem to remember a ways back Curt or someone saying that the version
> information that's compiled into Xastir is changed when the bootstrap.sh
> script is run. You'll see the updated version in the ./configure output,
> but only after bootstrap.sh is completed

That is correct.  PACKAGE_VERSION is set by an autoconf macro.  This is set in
configure.ac, from which configure is generated.  The xastir that is built will
show the package version that is present in configure.  To get configure
updated after a change in configure.ac, you need to run bootstrap.sh.

Every time you update CVS you should always run ./bootstrap.sh before running
configure.  If you don't do that, you run the risk of configure being outdated.
If you really understand the process, you can figure out when bootstrap is
unnecessary, but it is a fairly quick operation and therefore no harm is done
by doing "./bootstrap.sh" as a routine action immediately after a cvs update.

Not doing bootstrap when it *is* necessary is a sure-fire way to get confusing
results.  An old version number is the least of your worries.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation