[Xastir] xastir on cygwin installation problem

Rob Locher W7GH rob at idiompress.com
Wed Jan 27 21:57:38 EST 2010

I sent this message earlier before I got the "welcome to the list"
message, so I presume that the first copy went into the bit bucket.  I
apologize if the list gets this message twice. - Rob W7GH

**************

Greetings all,

I've been reading about APRS for a while now, and I decided that I just
had to download and run xastir.  I decided to install it on cygwin.  I'm
somewhat Unix-savvy, I used to be a Unix programmer back in the early
nineties, and I dabbled briefly with Linux around 1998.

So I managed to get myself well and truly stuck with the installation.  I
used cvs to checkout the latest xastir.  The configure step fails with the
dreaded error "**** NO MOTIF HEADERS FOUND **** install Motif development
headers or use --with-motif-includes to specify location of Xm/Xm.h".

I did install the lesstif package as advised by the instructions.  I
searched, and Xm.h is nowhere to be found on my cygwin installation.
There is no lesstif-devel package in cygwin.

I thought about downloading and building lesstif from source, but I read
somewhere that Xm.h is a motif header, and doesn't come with lesstif.  (Of
course that was at 1am, and I can't find that reference now, so I'm not so
sure about that.)

So should my next step be to install lesstif from source?

73,
- Rob W7GH