[Xastir] xastir daemon / service?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jan 31 21:38:53 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:28:33PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <sszretter at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Is it possible to run xastir on a machine as a service/daemon, and use a
> different machine to connect to it to view maps?
>
> I have an old very slow machine that should be good enough to do the
> communications and data manipulation, but it is way too slow to view the
> maps once they are loaded in.   (300mhz, 256mb ram)

I do this, but not using Xastir as the server.  I have a SheevaPlug plug
computer running a KISS TNC and javAPRSSrvr, and I share the TNC across my
LAN to multiple other machines.  I've used a couple of different sharing
methods, including a kludge using pseudo TTYs shared with SOCAT so each
machine appears to have its own KISS TNC all to itself, but am now sharing
the TNC using ldsped, a Linux AGWPE-compatible server.

See http://www.bogodyn.org/blog/ for details.

There's plenty of good software that can do the server features other than
Xastir.  Xastir's best used as a client to those.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation