[Xastir] Open Street Map support

Jim jim at k4gvo.com
Tue Jul 6 10:18:57 EDT 2010

Andrew Errington wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:11:22 Jim wrote:
>
>> Andrew Errington wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:31:16 Jim wrote:
>>> <snip>

>> Thanks, Andrew,
>>
>> Our weather service spotters network was asking for some way to post the
>> location of reporting stations on a map.  It sounds like OSM is
>> friendlier than Google Maps.
>>

> Well, Google is quite developer- and user-friendly, and will let you do stuff
> with its products.  But, you have to get a developer ID and there are things
> that Google will not permit you to do.
>
> The OpenLayers example I pointed you to in the OSM wiki will probably do what
> you want.  If the reporting stations don't move (or don't move much) they can
> all go into the text file.  When anyone calls up the map page then OpenLayers
> will overlay the icons and deal with panning and zooming.
>
> This has nothing to do with Xastir as such, does it? :)

No, I'm sorry it doesn't.  I saw the offer to help with OSM and decided
I'd take a chance that y'll wouldn't be too hard on me.  The station
list will be dynamic as stations report but most won't move.  I suspect
I'll program in a javascript refresh periodically and rewrite the text
file as stations report.  There's really no reason I couldn't merge that
into the Xastir display to also display the APRS weather stations in the
are.

I'll have to think on that one.  Thanks for all the help.

Jim.