[Xastir] "ICE default IO error handler ... errno=32" in 1.9.9

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jul 7 13:10:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:47:11AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <peter+aprs at duonet.net> flavor, containing:
> On Xubuntu 10.04, I'm running CVS 1.9.9.  The version I'm running is from
> CVS about two weeks ago.  I tried an update today and something in map_tif.c
> is broken, so it won't compile - but that's a different issue.

Can't answer the question about your crash, but I would like to know what
the error in map_tif.c is.  That's something we can work on.  But map_tif.c
hasn't had a commit since January, so it's odd that it's gotten broken with
a new update after only two weeks.  Try removing map_tif.c and doing another
update to get a clean version.

You're not the first person to report the ICE error, but so far as I know
nobody has figured out where it's coming from yet.

I did a little googling on the error message ("ICE default error handler
errno=32") and found that some folks who get this using MythTV on Ubuntu have
found that removing the ".ICEAuthority" file from your home directory makes
the crash go away.  I have not yet found anyone explaining why that helps, but
it does point to a problem outside of individual applications.

.ICEAuthority will be recreated often, though.  Not sure if it's every login
or even more often than that.  It has something to do with remote access.

Let us know if removing ~/.ICEAuthority does the trick.  If so, it is almost
certainly not an Xastir issue, but a Xubuntu/XFCE issue.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."