[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Jim jim at k4gvo.com
Thu Jul 22 09:43:48 EDT 2010

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info on ax25.  I was able to (I think) get it
>> connected to my modem.  Have no idea if it's working yet, but at
>> least it put the tnc into kiss mode.
>
> Have you seen the HOWTO documents specific to various Ubuntu flavors
> on the www.xastir.org web pages?  I'd suggest following those as
> many have come before you and succeeded with that method.

Yes!   It compiled correctly, however it's not working with the AX25
port as of yet.  I am looking at the AX25 howto on the web site and it
tells me to add a bunch of aliases to the modules configuration and
suggests a couple of places, neither of which are correct for Ubuntu.
The howto for Ubuntu is silent on the issue.  I see that most of the
configs for modules are in the /etc/modprobe.d directory as separate
files.  I assume it's OK to add an "ax25" file to that directory and put
the aliases in there.  I noticed the howto suggest these modules:

alias net-pf-3     ax25
alias net-pf-6     netrom
alias net-pf-11    rose
alias tty-ldisc-1  slip
alias tty-ldisc-3  ppp
alias tty-ldisc-5  mkiss
alias bc0          baycom
alias nr0          netrom
alias pi0a         pi2
alias pt0a         pt
alias scc0         optoscc    (or one of the other scc drivers)
alias sm0          soundmodem
alias tunl0        newtunnel
alias char-major-4 serial
alias char-major-5 serial
alias char-major-6 lp

I don't feel comfortable adding things like ppp, slip baycom and others
since I know I'm not using them. So what do I really need to simply
support an ax25 connection via ttyUSB0?

I appear to be talking to the tnc OK after a modprobe mkiss only.
Something is periodically telling the tnc to transmit in any case.  I
don't have ptt or mike audio hooked up just yet.  I wanted to see if I
could receive first. however I see the send light up once in a while.

Xastir doesn't seem to be the one talking since it complains about not
finding a port:

Thu Jul 22 09:39:23 EDT 2010:
        Interface Error!  AX.25 invalid port name ax0

Thu Jul 22 09:39:23 EDT 2010:
        Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail

ifconfig
ax0       Link encap:AMPR AX.25  HWaddr K4GVO-9
          inet addr:44.24.250.250  Bcast:44.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:255  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:63166 (61.6 KB)

Anyway I was just going through the ax25 howto since I see there are
some notes about setting Xastir as suid and setting up some up/down
start/stop scripts and got stuck on the aliases.

Thanks much,
Jim.