[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:19:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:

>> Are you sure about that last?  Typically you have to put the TNC
>> into KISS mode on your own via a terminal program.
> Well, I guess it's in KISS mode.  Before I did a kissattach /dev/ttyUSB0
> radio 192.168.2.3 I ran minicom and got a cmd: prompt (PK-232MBX).
> Afterwards I ran minicom and didn't get a prompt.  I assumed it was in kiss
> mode.

It takes different serial commands to put various TNC's into KISS
mode, so I doubt the kissattach has what it takes to put a TNC into
KISS mode all by itself.  If you tried Minicom while kissattach was
running it's likely you just kicked yourself out access to the port
with Minicom.  "kissattach" takes over the port and doesn't share.

Some TNC's are KISS-only, some require KISS ON to get them going,
some require a whole raft of setup commands before typing KISS ON,
some require a RESTART (RESET?) command after the KISS ON command.

The usual method if you have a command-mode TNC capable of KISS is
to run some terminal program, manually type the commands to get it
into KISS mode, then turn on the AX.25 kernel networking.  I put my
AX.25 commands for bringing the interface up/down into scripts to
make it easier for me.  The scripts must be customized for each
application.  I've not checked them into the Xastir project since so
few people actually bother to run AX.25, most run a serial
command-mode TNC or serial KISS TNC interface instead.