[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Dean Groe warpedspeed1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 13:02:09 EDT 2010

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:52:44 -0400
From: Jim <jim at k4gvo.com>
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Well, I guess it's in KISS mode.  Before I did a kissattach /dev/ttyUSB0
radio 192.168.2.3 I ran minicom and got a cmd: prompt (PK-232MBX).
Afterwards I ran minicom and didn't get a prompt.  I assumed it was in
kiss mode.

Jim

Jim, there is a sequence of commands to put a PK-232 into KISS mode.  I do not
have the list here in front of me, it is tucked into my PK-232MBX manual at
home, but I remember there being roughly ten commands, of which four or five
were NOT defaults.

I have a couple of those old TNCs at home, and occasionally have to push them
back into KISS mode, for one reason or another, so I keep the commands handy in
the manual.  Most other TNCs are easier, with a simple Kiss On and Restart, or
something like that.  Each of my PK-232s is a stable and reliable old workhorse,
so I do not mind the occasional extra few lines of commands.  I have a couple of
MFJs of the same vintage, that I do not hold in that high regard, FWIW.

Are you sure about ttyUSB0?  If you are using a USB to Serial converter, I
suspect that the assigned "serial" port is not going to be ttyUSB0, maybe
ttyUSB2 or something like that.

Also, because the PK-232 is a multi-port TNC, I have found that I have to setup
a PTY for both ports, even though I am only using one of them.

Depending upon the level of chaos when I get home tonight, I will try to reply
back with the PK-232 KISS commands.  I may also share the short script that I
use to setup the AX25 options for the interface -> TNC.  I run this before
launching Xastir, so that the AX25 interface is happy before I ask Xastir to is
it.  Of course, that does not get run very often, as Xastir pretty much runs 24
/ 7, except for certain software updates or hardware issues.  I have to remind
myself to run the script before launching Xastir on those rare occasions.

Dean  KD4TWJ