[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:48:09 EDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Dean Groe wrote:

> I may also share the short script that I
> use to setup the AX25 options for the interface -> TNC.  I run this before
> launching Xastir, so that the AX25 interface is happy before I ask Xastir to is
> it.  Of course, that does not get run very often, as Xastir pretty much runs 24
> / 7, except for certain software updates or hardware issues.  I have to remind
> myself to run the script before launching Xastir on those rare occasions.

So create an alias in BASH to run the script and then run Xastir?  I
haven't automated mine yet either, 'cuz I reboot so seldom.  Often
recently 'cuz I triggered a bug in my NVidia chipset with the USB1.1
SignaLink device, but now that's solved, it should be seldom again!
:-)

     vi .profile
     alias runxastir="path/scriptname; xastir &"

Something like that.  Then "runxastir" after you log out/log in
should run your script and then Xastir.  I have a LOT of aliases
defined and have put most of them in a separate ".alias" file which
I source from ".profile".  For testing I don't have to log out, I
just:

     . ./.alias

and then try the new alias to see if it works.  It's defined in that
case for the Xterm I ran the above command in, but no other.

If you're running C-Shell or some other non-Bourne-compatible shell,
the syntax will be different for you.  Most Linuxes run BASH as the
default shell for each account.