[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Dean Groe warpedspeed1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 21:12:41 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----

So create an alias in BASH to run the script and then run Xastir?  I
haven't automated mine yet either, 'cuz I reboot so seldom.  Often
recently 'cuz I triggered a bug in my NVidia chipset with the USB1.1
SignaLink device, but now that's solved, it should be seldom again!
:-)

------------------------------

Yep, I should do that... Just never did "'cuz I reboot so seldom" .

I do something similar, although not as well done, in my mobile, since that does
reboot all the time.

In that one, the script is not for AX25, but Festival.

For K4GVO's benefit, here are the PK-232 KISS commands that I have documented.
Make sure that Hbaud is set to 1200 for VHF APRS.

AWLEN 8
PARITY 0
CONMODE TRANS
TRACE OFF
HID OFF
BEACON EVERY 0
PACKET
RAWHDLC ON
HPOLL OFF
PPERSIST ON
KISS ON
HOST ON

You will not get a prompt back after typing KISS ON.  I still type HOST ON and
press Enter, since that is what the documentation directs.  I really do not know
if it takes that last command or not, but I do it anyway.

Then exit your Terminal program, in your case Minicom.

You could make a script for Minicom to do this, although you would want to build
some logic into it to sense the status / condition of the TNC as it proceeds.
In fact, you could probably make a script that would not require Minicom at
all.  If you do, share with the rest of the class.  I never took it that far,
since I rarely have to do this... and I have far too many other items on my list
of things that have to be done.  Priorities suck sometimes.

If the battery in the TNC is good, the PK-232 should stay in KISS mode even with
power cycles.

To get it out of KISS mode, use Minicom and then send three <Ctrl> <C> sequences
in a row.

Here is the portion of my PK-232 AX25 KISS Interface script that matters -
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550a

modprobe mkiss
mkiss -s 9600 /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ptyq0 /dev/ptyq1
kissattach /dev/ttyq0 pk232mbx1 -m 512 your.ip.address.here
kissattach /dev/ttyq1 pk232mbx2 -m 512 your.ip.address.here
kissparms -p pk232mbx1 -s 20 -t 150 -l 100
kissparms -p pk232mbx2 -s 20 -t 150 -l 100

Here are the relevant bits from my axports file -

pk232mbx1    KD4TWJ    9600    128    2    APRS
pk232mbx2    KD4TWJ-2    9600    128    2    DIGI_NED

I do not actually run DIGI_NED that way on the second port, it is just basically
a label placeholder.

Although I have used Xastir and DIGI_NED simultaneously before on the same AX25
interface.  Cool stuff, but that is another thread for another day.

I am sure that there are better ways to do this, but this is the quick and dirty
method I used, so that I could get it done and move on the next item on the
list.

Hope this helps.

Oh and sorry for the question marks in my messages.  I am not sure if it will
happen tonight or not.  It seems to be worse when using Yahoo Mail at work (IE +
Windows only environment).  Here at home tonight I am using Firefox on
OpenSuse.

Dean  KD4TWJ