[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:39:39 EDT 2010

Again, great job, Jerry!!

I've been using OSM tiles for a couple days now
and really like it. In addition to the great OSM maps, panning is so
nice now since it only the edge tiles are downloaded as compared
to the whole screen before, but everyone already knows that.

In fact I like using OSM so much that I would rather use that for
offline maps most of the time. I know because of the caching, any tiles
that have been downloaded will essentially be available for offline use.

I am wondering, though, if there is a way to download a large area
of tiles explicitly for offline use?

Maybe this could be a feature integrated into updating the cached tiles?
Just define an area and all those tiles will be updated, or cached?

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, maybe you are already looking into that.

Again, great job to everyone working on Xastir, it's a great program and just
keeps getting better.

Brett
KC9MWG