[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:46:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Brett Friermood wrote:

> I am wondering, though, if there is a way to download a large area
> of tiles explicitly for offline use?

I just thought of a sneaky way:  Write a Perl or Python script which
uses xastir_udp_client to send packets into Xastir.  Set up Xastir
to track the object.  Have the object run along the map in a zig-zag
pattern across the area of interest.  Repeat at each zoom level
you're interested in.  That will force caching of the tiles of
interest.  Yea, you can tell I lost too much sleep last night
playing with code...

Of course it would be easier/more efficient to write a block of code
for Xastir to just snag the tiles over a region and between two zoom
levels.  Or a separate outside program to do the same and then force
Xastir to think it cached them.