[Xastir] Re-mastering Ubuntu 10.04 images

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 23:59:36 EDT 2010

Hello to the list.

The last time I remastered Ubuntu images to include Xastir compiled
from source code, I scripted the process in order to make it easier
next time.  The process is based on the instructions available at the
link below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

I thought I'd share the script, which is available at
http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/remaster-ubuntu-i386-iso.sh

Some details/caveats:

- the script and the HowTo above target the desktop-386 version 10.04
only for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu.

- As recommended at the Ubuntu link above, images should be modified
(and therefore this script should be run) from a working i386 desktop
installation (not a 64 bit)

- The script can be run from either version 9.10 or 10.04, but as
stated above, only v10.04 images are supported for modification.

- The script will take some time to complete, and just how long will
vary greatly depending on CPU horsepower, hard drive speed, and
internet connection speed.

- Several packages are downloaded, so the script must be executed with
a working internet connection.

- Allow 3.5 to 5 GB of spare disk space for the processs

- The script will prompt you for your "sudo" password more than once,
and it will prompt you to hit "enter" at the CVS password prompt.

- Before executing the script, copy or move the original
Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu v10.04 iso image that you want to modfiy in the
same directory as the script file, and do not put any other 'buntu
images in there.

- Make sure the original iso image file has not been renamed from it's
original name as downloaded from Cannonical.

- Make sure the file is executable - Linux newbies that don't like the
command line can do it by right clicking the script file, then left
clicking "properties", left clicking the permissions tab, and checking
the box that is labeled exectuable (or something close - may depend on
which file manager you are using).

- After the script completes, you will be left with a new directory
inside the directory containing the script named "livecdtmp".  This
contains an uncompressed version of the newly created image and takes
up considerable space.  You can delete this directory by issuing the
following command:  rm -r livecdtmp

Have fun,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX