[Xastir] Problem after usingcompiling from using CVS

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:00:03 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM, ml41782 <ml41782 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I finally got away from the pre built packages and decided to use CVS for more recent fixes and updates.
>
> I followed the instruction here:
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Notes:CVS
>
> The download went smoothly.
>
> cd xastir
>   cvs update
>   ./bootstrap.sh
>   ./configure
>   (make clean;make -j3 2>&1) | tee make.log
>   sudo make install
>   sudo chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir (only needed if using kernel AX.25)
>
> no Problems seen to this point.
>
> then I typed xastir
>
> and it failled to startup
>
> This was the error
> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
>
> after further examination I found that there is no xastir directory  in the /usr/share directory but instead its in the /usr/share/local
>
> I know I can move this manually. I was wondering is this a flaw in the script someplace ?

See http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04 under "if you
already installed the binary version".

The binary pre-built version is installed in /usr/share while the
source version is installed in /usr/local/share.  You probably have a
config file in the hidden.xastir directory under your home directory.
If you don't need to save any configuration from the older binary
version, you can just delete everything in there, and then restart
Xastir.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX