[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:01:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:

> Google is a problem because their usage policy does not allow caching.
> Several other standalone applications (viking comes to mind) have had
> to stop using Google maps for just that reason.

I just took another run through one of their licensing pages and
found several issues:

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/terms.html

9.2 Reporting:  Talks about having to report info to Google if your
use includes use of a sensor to automatically determine the location
(such as GPS).

10.2:  Cannot stitch multiple map tiles together to create a larger
map.

10.3 is the section which prevents caching, except that you can
cache for the purpose of improving performance, under some
conditions.

10.7:  Cannot obscure any warning or notice appearing in the
content.  Since we can (and do) draw things on top of the map tiles,
this can be a problem.  At this URL they talk about overlaying our
data on top of theirs, so perhaps this isn't a big restriction for
us:

     http://code.google.com/apis/maps/

10.8:  Cannot use the "Static Maps API" other than in an
implementation in a web browser.  Too bad, 'cuz this API looked like
the quickest/easiest fit for Xastir.  There are other Google Maps
API's to choose from though.

10.9(c) is interesting:  Types of uses that Xastir would probably
come under.  It looks like we fit under their exemption in most
cases, except where Xastir is used in a commercial application.