[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at cih.uib.no
Wed Jun 9 02:32:26 EDT 2010

On 06/09/2010 08:01 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:
> 9.2 Reporting: Talks about having to report info to Google if your
> use includes use of a sensor to automatically determine the location
> (such as GPS).

Not sure how many people using XASTIR as a mobile station. Anyhow making
XASTIR using GoogleMap only when the user has set the position manually
is a workaround.

> 10.2: Cannot stitch multiple map tiles together to create a larger
> map.

Wordgame? whats a "larger map"? If you have a screen X * Y pixels and
request the maps then you are within the rules. Combining X * Y
pixels,paning the map and join the new X * Y pixels is not allowed.

When requesting a map via a browser you are getting several tiles to
create one bigger map.

> 10.3 is the section which prevents caching, except that you can
> cache for the purpose of improving performance, under some
> conditions.

Even in the browser you are caching this data so storing the map in a
TMP folder where they are removed each time you pan the map it should be ok.

> 10.8: Cannot use the "Static Maps API" other than in an
> implementation in a web browser. Too bad, 'cuz this API looked like
> the quickest/easiest fit for Xastir. There are other Google Maps
> API's to choose from though.

Then just open a web-class in the xastir screen. Then you are
technically using a browser even if it's embedded in other software.

There are several HAM programs doing this.

> 10.9(c) is interesting: Types of uses that Xastir would probably
> come under. It looks like we fit under their exemption in most
> cases, except where Xastir is used in a commercial application.

Maybe someone could send an e-mail request and explain the usage of
XASTIR etc. I would thing Google is interested in spreading their
services as much as they can.

Google map in XASTIR would be great.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA