[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at cih.uib.no
Wed Jun 9 04:49:27 EDT 2010

On 06/09/2010 09:15 AM, Andrew Errington wrote:
> On Wed, June 9, 2010 15:32, Kai Gunter Brandt wrote:
>> On 06/09/2010 08:01 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>>> 10.9(c) is interesting: Types of uses that Xastir would probably
>>> come under. It looks like we fit under their exemption in most cases,
>>> except where Xastir is used in a commercial application.
>>>

>> Maybe someone could send an e-mail request and explain the usage of
>> XASTIR etc. I would thing Google is interested in spreading their
>> services as much as they can.
>
> Why bother, when OSM lets you do all this without restriction?  Plus, if
> you spot an error or omission you can fix it yourself.  It's true that
> Google has a mechanism for this, but why should I spend my time making
> Google richer?

As long as i'm gaining on it i don't care if they earn money.

Most of the Google restrictions can be applied in how i understand them.

Even if OSM maps in some areas are much better than Google map i would
prefer Google as they are more "completed".

OSM is great in big countries. No(r)way is a small country with
difficult terrain and then it's less people having time/interest in
supplying OSM with GPS data.

>> Google map in XASTIR would be great.
>
> Google maps in XASTIR would *look* great, but that's about all.

Yes XASTIR is great and would look greater with Googlemaps.

I already have converted OSM but it's not good enough.
http://www.scannernytt.info/LA3QMA/OSM.tif

Using WMS from:
http://www.statkart.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicShow;ID=14089/

would be great but it doesn't work. i have tried to modify some of the
"radar" examples in XASTIR. So i'm either doing something wrong or the
mapserver from Statkart doesn't comply to how XASTIR is working.

They also have a limit of 300 calls pr. day so paning/zooming a few
times and your IP is blocked for xx-hours.

So for now i use ScreenShot from i.e Google and yes this is not allowed.
But it's much better than: http://www.scannernytt.info/LA3QMA/OSM.tif

So if some gurus can help me to get Statkart to work in XASTIR it would
be great.

http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.kartdata2?request=GetCapabilities&service=wms&version=1.1.1

Testcall:
http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.kartdata2?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:32633&BBOX=56213.79,6531782.63,422222.04,6823820.71&LAYERS=Kartdata2_WMS&STYLES=&WIDTH=762&HEIGHT=608&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=FALSE

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA