[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Jun 9 08:11:49 EDT 2010

I hate to fall into the category of "if she jumped off a bridge would you",
but at the same time, sites like aprs.fi and findu are pulling google
maps... and those maps have to be coordinated thru a site license right?
Obviously displaying little icons on a map is an acceptable use of google
maps, so why the problem with pulling the images from xastir with WGET or
other utility?

It's a shame that OSM limits to 300 pulls a day.

Wes

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 04:49, Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt at cih.uib.no>wrote:

> On 06/09/2010 09:15 AM, Andrew Errington wrote:

>>> Maybe someone could send an e-mail request and explain the usage of
>>> XASTIR etc. I would thing Google is interested in spreading their
>>> services as much as they can.
>>>

>> Why bother, when OSM lets you do all this without restriction?  Plus, if
>> you spot an error or omission you can fix it yourself.  It's true that
>> Google has a mechanism for this, but why should I spend my time making
>> Google richer?
>>

> As long as i'm gaining on it i don't care if they earn money.
>
> Most of the Google restrictions can be applied in how i understand them.
>
> Even if OSM maps in some areas are much better than Google map i would
> prefer Google as they are more "completed".
>
> OSM is great in big countries. No(r)way is a small country with difficult
> terrain and then it's less people having time/interest in supplying OSM with
> GPS data.
>

>  Google map in XASTIR would be great.
>>>

>> Google maps in XASTIR would *look* great, but that's about all.
>>

> Yes XASTIR is great and would look greater with Googlemaps.
>
> I already have converted OSM but it's not good enough.
> http://www.scannernytt.info/LA3QMA/OSM.tif
>
> Using WMS from:
> http://www.statkart.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicShow;ID=14089/
>
> would be great but it doesn't work. i have tried to modify some of the
> "radar" examples in XASTIR. So i'm either doing something wrong or the
> mapserver from Statkart doesn't comply to how XASTIR is working.
>
> They also have a limit of 300 calls pr. day so paning/zooming a few times
> and your IP is blocked for xx-hours.
>
> So for now i use ScreenShot from i.e Google and yes this is not allowed.
> But it's much better than: http://www.scannernytt.info/LA3QMA/OSM.tif
>
> So if some gurus can help me to get Statkart to work in XASTIR it would be
> great.
>

> http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.kartdata2?request=GetCapabilities&service=wms&version=1.1.1
>
> Testcall:
>
> http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.kartdata2?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:32633&BBOX=56213.79,6531782.63,422222.04,6823820.71&LAYERS=Kartdata2_WMS&STYLES=&WIDTH=762&HEIGHT=608&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=FALSE
>
> Kai Gunter
> LA3QMA

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.