[Xastir] Open Street Map support (read this)

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 02:56:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:55:45 Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Thanks to Jerry Dunmire, KA6HLD, we now have Open Street Map support
> in Xastir.  Woohoo!
>
> For an interesting place to look, zoom in on a border and see what
> differences you can find for roads crossing said border.  For the
> main Canadian border crossing north of me I can't see any difference
> in the roads at all.
>
> Thanks Jerry!

Joy!

I just followed the instructions to install from CVS for my distro:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:MEPIS_8.0

All is as it should be, and OpenStreetMap shows up in the list of maps!
Thanks Jerry!

This is a great development, and one I had been hoping for for a while.  It
gives us lots of interesting opportunities too.  I have been contributing to
OSM for some time, and I would encourage you all to do the same.  It's an
interesting and fun pastime, and it produces concrete and usable results.
The only rule is don't copy from other maps or data sources*.

I would be happy to answer questions about OSM, based on my own experience,
but you can also find out a lot on the OSM wiki, and there are clearly other
contributors here too.  There is also a talk list and a newbies list for OSM,
and I suggest that someone 'in charge' of Xastir should announce this new
development.  I also suggest that we plan our use of OSM carefully so as not
to 'bog down' their servers, and to make sure we get the best use out of the
OSM project for Xastir's particular requirements.

73,

* Actually, there is another rule, and that is "Have fun!".