[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 55, Issue 16

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 20:54:27 EDT 2010

Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com>
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Open Street Map support (read this)
>
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:
>
> > Thanks Tom for the analysis. I'll look into where else calling the
> > adj_to_OSM_levels()
> > needs to be called as a short term fix until I can figure out (really
> > just learn what's already there) a better scaling method.
>
> Jerry:  Don't take all the negative comments to heart...  The net
> gain in having these maps is enormous, far better than just a
> replacement for Tigermaps.  We just have to tweak a little here and
> there to make it operate like all the other maps (and interoperate
> with them).
>
> Thanks again for taking that project on.  You'll have a few hundred
> appreciative users out there as payback when each gets their system
> updated to use OSM.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.                         <http://www.eskimo.com/~archer<http://www.eskimo.com/%7Earcher>
> >
>    APRS:  Where it's at!                    <http://www.xastir.org>
>   Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
> Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
> The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:34:29 -0700
> From: "Tom, ve7did" <ve7did at dccnet.com>
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Open Street Map support (read this)
>
> Fabulous job.... never had this detail before here in Canada. Now I can
> see all the trails in a park near me. Probably done by the geocaching
> guys....
>
> Propagation Knows No Boundaries
> 73 de Tom,  ve7did

> End of Xastir Digest, Vol 55, Issue 16
> **************************************

Jerry, thank you very much for the contribution to Xastir.  I finally got my
update working.  I was using the straight CVS howto and was striking out on
compiling.  It dawned on me after dinner to go to the Ubuntu 10.04
directions and run with them since I am using 10.04.  I got it to work on
the first hit.

I have loosely followed the discussion about using OSM.  Is there a way to
save desired areas locally like there is with Tiger maps?  I have the 2008
and 2009 for my county and the surrounding.  The OSM maps would be awesome.

Give the crowd a new feature and they will want more.  :D.

Thanks again.

--
73

Guy Story KC5GOI