[Xastir] OpenStreetMaps Update

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 02:29:14 EDT 2010

On Fri, June 11, 2010 14:03, Jerry Dunmire wrote:
> I hadn't noticed the extension collision. I was looking only at the
> Xastir use. Do you have any suggestions for a more appropriate
> extension?

Not really.  I don't really know what you would classify the contents of
the file as.  The .geo files are genuine .geo files, and other files which
contain data in a well-known format should use the well-known extension.

Since this is a Unix-like system there's no need for extensions anyway, or
you could use the catch-all ".dat".

Either way, I encourage you to drop the 's' as OSM itself is not plural.
(Pedantic programmer is pedantic).

Since these are still early days, have you considered how to get the other
rendered tiles (assuming they are available)?  For example (for those
who've never played with OSM) you can click on a plus symbol (+) at the
upper right hand side of the map at the OSM site (www.osm.org) and switch
to different rendered views of the data.  The default at OSM is Mapnik.
The tiles we are viewing in Xastir seem to be Osmarender.  The third one
you can see is CycleMap, which includes (approximate) topo lines.

If we have generic WMS support we should be able to specify any WMS server
and it should Just Work.

73,