[Xastir] OpenStreetMaps Update

Jerry Dunmire jerry at dunmire.org
Fri Jun 11 03:08:53 EDT 2010

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll think about changing the file name,
but I don't want to do that too many times because of the disruption
it causes.

As for the file extensions, all I can say at this point is that xastir
uses the file extension as part of it's internal logic. This isn't a
OS level choice, but part of the core logic of this particular
application. The clearest way to make the decision to about when
scaling should be binned or linear was by creating another 'file type'
(as defined by file extension). Any other way would have caused me to
add new code to parse file contents at places were the file contents
are not presently available. I'm sure this is part of why I'm being
encouraged to change to the linear scaling as soon as possible. If the
linear scaling works acceptably then OpenStreetMap.geo (no 's' - I'm
trying :-) ) will come back as the way to select the linear scaling
for OSM. At that point the .osm extension could be dropped if the
binned scaling is no longer desirable. I would like to hold off that
decision until I see the linear scaling in-action on OSM bitmaps.

I am actually thinking about how to select the other map styles. I'm
not quite sure how yet, but probably by different key words in the
.osm/.geo file. A separate file (by no new extensions!) would used for
each style. That way no new selection process/GUI would need to be
added. However this feature is still a thought experiment...

73,
...jerry