[Xastir] failure to use gpsd

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:15:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:

> i am doing exactly that, still hostname lookup messages do appear - that
> is why i consider it weird.
>
> Xastir connects to internet aprs servers just fine, and system is
> configured properly.
>
> hostname 'lookup' does not 'time out'
> when looking for gpsd server it just displays
> 'looking up hostname [number]' and number increases from (perhaps 0?)
> and tediously cycles via 1000 20000 and so on, increasing by 1.
> it consumes ~100% cpu time and lasts up to minute.
> then connection is attempted.

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf files.  Most
likely the first one is specifying that you try to look up the
hostname from a service that is not responding or is slow to
respond, then after a timeout you switch to the next service and
succeed.  My nsswitch.conf line looks like this:

     hosts:  files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

So it will look in /ect/hosts first ("files"), and I have localhost
defined in that file:

     127.0.0.1       localhost